Intro to Power Business Intelligence
"Business Intelligence" comprises the strategies and technologies used by enterprises for the data analysis of business information.
BI technologies provide historical, current, and predictive views of business operations.
- ETL (Extract, Transform, Load
- Database / Data warehouse / Data lake
"Data Analysis" is an approach to data that seeks to find insights and indentify patters or trends (Nuggets of Insight).
"Data Mining" = Analyzing large amounts of data.
"Big Data" = High-volume, unstructured, real-world generated data.
- Veracity (How reliable?)
5 Stages of BI
- Collect and store data
- Transform "Big" data into "BI" data
- Present Key Metrics
- Evaluate data to discover patterns, trends, and insights
- Sharing reports and findings to empower others (Visualizations and Presentations)
- Free (just hit X on logins)
- $9.99/month/person for sharing
- Enterprise Level
- Need a subscription (because it's useless without sharing)
- Service Admin
- Twilio (SMS)
Data Analysis Expressions
- and &&
- concat &
(RELATE is Based off Model)
- Power Platform
- Manual Refresh
- Schedule Refresh
- Direct Query (never stale)
- Instead of Importing data into the file, you are connected to a Data Source.
- File -> Options -> Data source settings (also in Transform data dropdown)
- Get Data -> Azure Sql Database
- Options for Authentication (not available on Importing data)
- Creates a Composite Model based on the link to the data (keeps relationships)
- Never goes stale because it updates as you click
- However you do have some control over this if performance on the Database is an issue
- File -> Options -> Options -> Current File -> Query Reduction
- On-prem (non-cloud) data sources require a Gateway (Power Bi -> Download -> Data Gateway)
Visuals / Report Builder
Natural Query Language
Marketplace / Gallery / Links
If this article helped you, or you have any thoughts on how to do this better, please click the Like button and/or leave a comment below.